Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Old Glory

We love to go to Disneyland when they have all of their patriotic decorations out and especially to stay for a couple of days over the 4th of July.  This layout is about the first Independence Day that we spent at the Disneyland Resort.  They have a daily flag retiring ceremony that we often attend, but on this day, the Marine Corp Band from Camp Pendleton was there playing the music and the Dapper Dans were singing.  They play a portion of the song from all the branches of the armed forces and anyone in the crowd who has served is encouraged to come stand around the flag pole.  Then we sing the national anthem, and the flag is retired for the night.  Every one thanks the service people in the center for their service and the flag is marched out.  This particular ceremony was very moving with the Marine Corp Band playing!


The paper and embellishments are Bo Bunny.





I couldn't find a video of this day, but I did find one Patriot's Day 2011 when the Marine Corp Band again played.  A warning that it is long, and unsteady, but still worth it.  I get teary every time!



2 comments:

Susan Stringfellow said...

I totally love everything about this page - every detail! Just perfect. I want to copy it but don't have the right photos :( Thanks so much for doing this sketch for me.
here is the link: http://sketchsavvy.blogspot.com/2012/05/2-page-sketch-16.html

Bobbi said...

Love the layout, I may need to scraplift this for the time Dad did the Flag Ceremony at DL. This would be perfect.

And watching the Patriot's Day Celebration was just like being there...gave me goosebumps....thanks for sharing...I have had my DL fix for the day...:)