Thursday, February 11, 2021

Oh the Places You'll Go - Sizzix Chapter 1

Wacky Transport from Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 1 release is a fun die set. It reminded me a little of the Dr Seuss book 'Oh the Places You'll Go." So I decided to make a little project inspired by Dr Seuss.
I started with how I wanted to cover the outside of the Vignette Drawer with the Typewriter 3D Texture Fade. This process takes a little time but it isn't difficult.
Emboss several pieces of Distress White Heavystock by running it through the folder. Remember that you need to spray the paper with water and run it through only once for the extra heavy instead of the 3 times for other papers.
Cut the rows of letters just wide enough to fit on the sides of the Vignette Drawer. Then choose your Distress Ink Colors. I chose primary colors so that it had a very Seuss look to it. Salty Ocean, Candied Apple, Mustard Seed, and Mowed Lawn. I used a watercolor brush and alternated the colors, coloring in each of the letters
Once they were all colored in, I took the Black Soot Archival Ink pad, and lightly rubbed the pad over the raised letters to make them stand out.
Begin applying the pieces from the bottom of one side and continue in alphabetical order all the way around. Then start from the top down on the back. I adhered them with Collage Medium. Sand the edges and Ink with brown Distress Ink. I did not cover the top of the paper with Collage Medium to seal it, I just left it plain.
Here you can see a bit more of the inking.
I painted a Hardware Pull with Candied Apple Distress Paint and one it was mostly dry, I rubbed some paint off the edges to make it look old and worn.
To decorate each of the sections of the drawers, I tried to make the background fit the wacky transport that would be in it. I painted the inside of the entire drawer with Tumbled Glass Distress Paint.  I added some d=Distress Grit paste on the bottom of each section and painted it with Distress Paint in a color that would go the best with the feeling of each section.
Then I made some white clouds by adhered some of the circle punch outs from the Bubbling die that I used in the bottom section. Then I added some of the Funky Toadstools that I colored to look like trees. 
The middle box was going to be for the camper so I added some mountains from Alpine that were cut from Distress Cracked Leather Cardstock. I added more Funky Toadstools and the grass from that set along the bottom.
In the bottom box I adhered the Bubbling backdrop die which I had colored blue. then I added some Glossy Accents to make it shiny like water. I used more of the circle pop outs from the die as bubbles coming up from the bottom of the ocean. The coral is just several of the Funky Toadstools, but without the toadstool caps. The seaweed is one of the leaf dies from Funky Nature.
I wanted the vehicles to stand up so instead of cutting a bunch of them, I used the leftover paper to draw the shapes on some clear acrylic sheets. I don't remember where I got this, but I have a link to a few options below from Lawn Fawn and Judikins.
Once I had the shape drawn on the protective plastic cover, I cutout the shape and then adhered it to each vehicle.
I also used it as an opportunity to adhere the wheels as they are separate from the rest of the vehicles. Then it is easy to attach some sort of L shaped bracket to adhere to the back of the vehicle and the bottom of the section so the vehicles stand up.
I really like the bit of shine this gives to the windows for the Wacky Transport.
In order to get the sub to look like it is floating through the water, use the Bubbling as bubbles to do that.     
Here is a better photo of the top section of the drawer. I kind of wanted it to feel like a coastal park area. To add a little more interest I tied some twine around the top and a token that says Go See Explore to further the theme.
This middle section is a little bit like "glamping" if you color the camper a little like the one I have here.
From this perspective you can see how I used a line of the punch out circles from the background to make the bubbles that hold up the sub.I added a few more bits of Funky Nature "seaweed" and some of the Funky Toadstool caps as more coral.

This was a fun project to think up and then execute. I hope this inspires you to make one of your own with your own creative twists. 

I really feel like this could go in a child's room, a classroom or library. 

I'll sign off with the hope that we are all traveling again soon,
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!




3 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Travel, what is that...LOL...It seems like it has been forever...This is brilliant...what a cool project and it looks FUN to make too...

Renee Thompson said...

How fabulous! I especially love the 'letter tower'

Juli Riedel said...

Tami B! Another fabulous make from you! The amount of detail combined with tips and tricks is just fantastic! I always learn something new from your creations! Wonderful job and thank you for sharing with us!!!