Friday, January 29, 2021

Lucky Peter Rabbit - Sizzix Ch 1 2021


Last year I made a rolling cart of Mr MacGregor’s Garden, with, Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail. This year I made another scene from Mr MacGregor’s Garden with Peter Rabbit sans his coat as Mr MacGregor had put it on the scarecrow. But carrots and cabbages needed to make another appearance this spring and I was so happy that I had dies to use for them this time. Let’s hop right in to the how to’s of this make with some of Tim Holtz’s Sizzix chapter 1 2021 dies.


To begin with, I painted a large Vignette Frame and the inside of a large Vignette box with Speckled Egg Distress Paint. I rubbed on a layer of Distress Collage Medium and then rubbed a bit of Walnut Stain Distress Crayon over the frame so that it went down into the detail crevices.

When the paint was dry, I cut some Distress Woodgrain Cardstock into 1/2” strips and trimmed the ends to look like a picket fence. Then I just adhered them with a little space between so that it gave the impression of the fence Peter had to scurry under to get into the garden. Although I think it was probably stone in the story. Peter was cut from chipboard and then some Distress Kraft Heavystock that I colored with brown Distress Inks and stamped lightly with the Linen stamp from Linen and Mesh CMS.  .I adhered them together and then set him aside until I was ready to assemble the piece. 

The carrots were very simple. I colored a piece of Mixed Media Heavystock with Crackling Campfire and Spiced Marmalade. Then I cut several carrots from it. I also cut the tops from some MM Heavystock colored with Peeled Paint.

Before putting the top of the carrots onto the base, I ran the Tonic Scorer across the Archival Ground Espresso pad and then lightly “scored” little lines into the carrots just to add a little detail.
Once they were done, I lightly edged them with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and then assembled them.
The cabbages were fun. I cut several bits of scraps into 2x2 squares and then colored them with Bundled Sage and Shabby Shutters Distress Ink. You can add bits of other greens until you get the cabbage color you are happy with.
I wet these squares, put some Collage Medium on them and then crumpled them into a wrinkly ball. Let these dry. 

Color a few other pieces of MM Heavystock with the same greens, and then cut several of the large Brushstroke Flower 2 out of it.

Get the flowers a little bit damp, crinkle them up, smooth them out and then add some Collage Medium in the very center.
Gently shape the flower around one of the green cabbage balls, slowly shaping it so that it sticks to the ball as it dries and the petals overlap a little to look like a cabbage.
This takes a little time and practice, so I recommend making several of these incase you have a few you don’t really like.
It is almost time to assemble the whole piece. Apply a little bit of Brushed Corduroy to several pieces of Kraft Heavystock then run them through the Intertwined 3D Texture Fade folder. Cut them into pieces that fit the sides and back of the Vignette Box, then adhere with Distress Collage Medium. Apply a thin layer of Collage Medium over the top and smooth it out by rubbing it in with your fingers. This also allows a bit of the Distress Ink to soak into the crevices and really make the texture stand out.
Now to start assembling, I adhered Mr Rabbit to a few wooden Bingo chips so he could be attached to the back of the box, but still stand out away from it. I put two of the carrots in his arms.
The rest of the carrots can be trimmed so only the tops are used, as if they are growing out of the ground. To attach them, I cut them a little longer than needed and then folded the extra toward the back. That will give you something to adhere to the bottom of the box.
Before you add the cabbages, attach the frame to the front of the Vignette Box with some Distress Collage Medium.

Once the frame is set, put a bit of Collage Medium on the bottom of the cabbages and tuck them in the corners on the bottom left of the Vignette Box.
Finish off the project by using one of the pieces of green paper used for the carrot tops and the cabbages to cut a four leaf clover from the Lucky Love Impresslit, which cuts and embosses. I tied some thin jute around the top of the box, and then punched a small hole in the top of the clover so I could put the clover and the lucky Story Stick on a Jump Ring. I tied the Jump Ring in the bow of the jute. 
The reason I added the Lucky part to this project is because Peter was very lucky both times he was in Mr. MacGregor's Garden, that he didn't get caught and baked in a pie by Mrs. MacGregor!
Lastly I added a Curio Knob on the top the box and it was finished.

Thanks for following along with this fun spring project!
Tami



I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

9 comments:

LISA said...

You kidding me with those cabbages right!!! Freeken fantastic!! I love your whole project!! Simply darling!!!

Christina said...

Awesome make Tami. Thnx for sharing how you made those amazing cabbages ♥️♥️

scrappergirl56/Sherry said...

So, so cute!!! Those cabbages are brilliant!!! Love, love, love....Here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail, hippity hoppity all along the way...oppies, think I forgot how it goes after all these years...LOL...

Paula Cheney said...

This project is so cute! and the cabbages are so clever! how do you think of these things? just wow!

Juli Riedel said...

Wow Tami! This has to be one of my favorite makes! The cabbages are amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us! Hippity Hoppity to you girlie!

Maureen Reiss said...

This is Fabulous!!!! Your cabbage is Amazing!!!

Char Cundy said...

OK Those cabbages are so cute!! and look so real!!!! LOVE your project!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Peter Rabbit, and cherish all the times I read it to my kiddos. You've captured the theme perfectly, and all the layers are wonderful and the texture a bonus!

Corinne said...

So, so clever! Love it.