Sunday, July 30, 2017

Monstrous Hipster Mash

Tim Holtz and Sizzix paired together to host a fun #hipforsummer contest and there were some absolutely fabulous entires! What fun to see all the ways paper crafters used the Hipster Stampers Anonymous stamps and Sizzix dies to put the Hipster in all kinds of creative scenarios.

I wasn't able to participate in the #hipforsummer fun because it's been a crazy busy summer so far, but I finally got some time to just make something silly this weekend and that turned into this mash-up of the Hipsters CMS288 and the brand spankin new Monstrous CMS307 release. Mixed with a couple of Distress Microglaze/Distress Oxide resist backgrounds using some of the new Stencils, Rosetta THS092, Flames THS091, and Cross THS090, these cards were really simple to put together.

I found that stamping the images separately on pieces of Distress Mixed Media Hardstock then coloring, cutting them out and layering them seemed to work best for me. I tried masking and stamping and that didn't work as well for me.
To make the background, I took a piece of Distress Mixed Media Hardstock and a blending tool with clean foam on it. Get a little Distress Microglaze on the blending foam and then work it into the foam in a circular motion on a craft mat. You don't want a lot of glaze or it builds up against the side of the stencil. Once you have worked the glaze into the foam, lay a stencil over part of the Hardstock and gently move the blending tool over the stencil.  Move the stencil to another area and repeat or get a new stencil and repeat.  For this background I used Rosetta THS092 and Flames THS091. Let it dry briefly then I put a few colors of Distress Oxide onto the craft mat (I honestly don't remember what I used here - maybe Wild Honey, Peeled Paint and Seedless Preserves?) and spritz with water until it beads. Run the paper through Oxides and dry. Then repeat and add water drops or sprinkles as you dry until you get a layered background. The areas you stenciled with the microglaze should act as a resist.
For the ostrich Hipster I cut off her hat and cut her and the mummy out. Then figured about where her eyes were behind the Mummy and roughly cut away a portion so her eyes were peeking through the glasses. I mean roughly too. You kind of want it to look like the wraps were ripped. Then added the hat and glasses on top of the Mummy.

For this background I did the same Distress Microglaze resist background as I described above. This time I used the Cross THS090 stencil and I think Wilted Violet, Broken China and Faded Jeans for the background. 
Dracula was comprised of the bird suit and bird hair. His eyes are close set so you just have to find which pair of glasses fit him and Frankenstein's monster the best. I think it was the monkey glasses that worked the best. I did cut around his chin so his goatee was more prominent. Then I added the crazy bird hair behind his head. The bats in the background were cut using the bat die from the Halloween Mixed Media 661558 die set.



Frankenstein's monster needs to be stamped and colored so there is space below his neck. Stamp the monkey's outfit then color and cut out the clothes for the monster. Find out which glasses fit the best (again I believe it was the monkey glasses for Frankie as well.) The background on this one was put on DMMH using a blending tool with three different Distress Oxides, then I wet it by misting it with water. Then I stamped the splat from the Ravens CMS310 set right in the middle in Twisted Citron Distress Oxide. You can see it behind him.  I added a couple of the bats leftover from Dracula's background.

That was about it.  Just a fun, silly mash-up of stamped images with some crazy, experimental backgrounds.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.

1 comment:

KAT said...

This is an awesome idea to put the monster onto the hipsters! Fabulous!