Monday, October 1, 2012

Faux Shopping at Cristal d' Orleans

 This layout is about a Girls day at Disneyland in February of 2010.  It was a quiet day and we were wandering around listening to the Bootstrappers, riding Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, and then as we were passing through New Orleans Square along Royal Street, we were approached by a plaid and asked if we would pose for some pictures and video as if we were shopping in Cristal d' Orleans.  We had never been in the shop, so we agreed and wandered around acting like we were interested in all the glass stuff.  Then we had to sign some papers giving them permission to use our pictures.  I took a couple of the experience myself and we had a good laugh about it.  We have no idea if they actually used them or not, but we chalked it up to another fun experience in our favorite place.

 This layout was done for Disney Scrappers Challenge #28 - Shopping, and the October Creating on a Whim Challenge.  I used Sketch #98 from Sketch Savvy.


 The Creating on a Whim Challenge included using several things from a list on my layout - I included the following things: pop dots, fabric, chipboard, and journaling around the page.
      Because the shop had a lot of crystal glasses, figurines, etc, I tried to use shiny, crystally things on this page.
     To make the title, I cut the letters out of Lifestyle Crafts' Aluminum Chipboard, then put a thick layer of Glossy Accents on each letter so that they would look like crystal letters. The background shape was made by attaching the fabric to some chipboard and cutting it out on a Tim Holtz Sizzix Die Styled Labels Die.

     The paper I used was fabric paper by Die Cuts with a View.  It is a little tough to work with.  It is adhesive and is on paper that you can peel off, but I left most of it on the paper because the fabric is so thin that when you remove it, it tends to get mishapen and this doesn't work when you are using large pieces.
     The adhesive also made it difficult to sew on.  My needle would get gummed up fairly quickly, so I had to keep a Q-tip and Undu by my machine and clean the needle quite often!
     There were no embellishments with this stack (I don't think DCWV makes embellishments?) so I made my own.  I enlarged the floral shape from one of the papers on my printer and then attached the plain fabric to chipboard and hand cut the shapes, inked the edges and attached them together.  I added some tiny rhinestones to tie them in with the banners I made the same way.
      I liked the texture and softness the fabric gives the layout, but it was a bugger to work with.

5 comments:

Susan Stringfellow said...

well I am just blown away! The whole thing is amazing. I cant believe you used this paper so well. I couldn't. The crystals are perfect and what a cool way to make a crystal title. I love the way your mom and Melissa are just hamming it up. What a cool memory to have.

blupixy said...

Love this layout! I love the title and I think you did a great job making it look like crystal! Love the bling as well. Tied in well with the shop. Love the embellishments you made. Lot of work, but totally paid off!
Would be so cool to see those photos show up somewhere! Great memory!
Thanks for sharing!

Bobbi said...

I know this was a tough one, in more ways than just one!! Great job. Love your creativity on the crystal letters...beautiful

Bobbi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marianne said...

I left you some love over at disney scrappers but had to come to see the close ups. Wow! Lots of time and hard work went into making all those awesome details. The mood of the whole page is perfection!!