Saturday, August 7, 2021

From Regions Beyond - Distress Halloween Release

This is my second piece made with the new Tim Holtz Ranger Ink Distress Halloween release. I used a lot of the Grave Texture Paste and Crypt Grit Paste on this piece as well as some of the Crooked Broomstick and Empty Tomb Mica Stains.

As with the previous piece, I used some inspiration from Disneyland's Haunted Mansion for this one as well, since it is turning 52 on Monday, Aug. 9th.  I should let you guess what part of the mansion I used for my inspiration here, but you can probably tell if you have been on the ride before. This is a loose interpretation of the crypt exit with the mirror wall and Little Leota as you go up the escalator. Little Leota is the face and voice of Disney Imagineer Leota Toombs Thomas, saying "Hurry baaaa-aaack! Be sure to bring your death certificate." She was the first of three generations of female Disney Imagineers with her daughter Kim Irvine and grandaughter Ali Irvine. Maybe her namesake and great grandaughter, Leota, will carry on the family tradition. That would be cool!

To begin with, I used some of my older Idea-ology Halloween stash on this. So if you haven't used your Halloween stuff, get it out and use it.  I started by covering a Mini Etcetera Tombstone with a few pieces of paper from last year's paper pad.
I covered the center of the tag, and the top and bottom, but left the top frame for another item.
Once the paper was attached, I ran some Crypt Texture paste through the brickwork THS038 stencil to give some texture to the piece.
I felt like the edges were a little sharp, so once the paste was kind of dry but not too hard, I scraped some of the edges off with the side of the palette knife.
I covered the top frame with Grave Texture Paste and then added some Crypt Grit Paste once it was dry. I also added Grit paste along all the edges and the base parts.
To make Little Leota, I fiddled with Collage Medium and Mummy cloth to try and make her look like she has that flowing dress and cape thing. This is the best I could do.
Then to make it dark like on the ride I sprayed it with Empty Tomb Mica Stain.
Here she is. I wiped it off her face and let her dry and was really pleased with the result!
She is kind of in a little niche with roots and things growing around her, so this is my attempt to replicate that with Spanish Moss I got from the floral department at the craft store.
Then I needed to make the ghost to follow you home... I picked a paper doll. this guy was part of a pair, but I cut them apart and used his wife in a frame on my last Corridor project. To make him a little transparent, I attached him to some packing tape.
Next I soaked him in warm water until the paper started to come off the tape. Keep rubbing all the paper off the tape until you have a mostly transparent image left. then I colored him with some alcohol ink. Fussy cut him out and he is ready to pop up in the mirror between some unsuspecting guests and follow them home.
I chose this couple but to make them fit in the frame I had to cut them apart and rearrange them. It worked out fine.
I used one of these old frames. I have several of them as well as several of the metal ribbons so I paired them up. The couple and this guy needed to be in a mirror so I backed the frame with a small piece of Mirrored sheet from the Idea-ology line.
Here you go. We have our couple in their Doombuggie, and their ghost in between in the weird turquoise color those ghosts are.
I aged the frame with some Crypt Grit Paste and a bit of Crooked Broomstick Mica Stain. This cracks me up!
As you exit the ride there are tall arm sconces that hold up lights. I didn't have anything to make those, so I made some from two Idea-ology Silverware spoons that are bent and two keyholes that I think are pretty old but I'm trying to use my huge stash. I've been collection a long time!

I put a little grit paste on them and let it dry, then sprayed the frame and sconces with both Crooked Broomstick and Empty Tomb Distress Mica Stain. The ink comes off, but for some reason the mica stays... I don't get it but I think it's cool.

Here you can see some detail on the spoon sconces.
Then I added a skull to each sconce in the spoon.
I made a couple of drippy candles to go on the head of each skull. If you don't know how to make them, you can see my tutorial here: Wherever Candlights Flicker.
I tried to make them extra grungy because is it a dark, underground crypt.
I attached them to the Etcetera Tombstone just below the top edge.
You can almost hear her...hurry baaaa-aack....


The little bat at the bottom I added because of the bats on the stanchions in the hallway after the stretching room.
I enjoyed making this little Haunted Mansion inspired piece and hope if inspired you to use the new Seasonal Distress Items when you get them,

They are just too much fun it would be a shame to squirrel them away and not use them. So give them a try and enjoy the experiment.

Tami


I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!



 

2 comments:

scrappergirl56/Sherry said...

This is so Wickedly good...those candlesticks are simply brilliant...amazing...soooo goood...

Theresa said...

such spocktacular awesomeness..can't wait for my products to get here.. thanks as always for sharing.