Monday, November 16, 2020

Snarky Cat Framelits - Window Card

More Snarky Cats! I feel like these are Apartment Snarky Cats, all peeking out the windows while their humans are at work and most likely getting into a little mischief where they can.

 And surprise, this card was inspired by one of my late night binge session of Jennifer McGuire's youtube channel. LOL! I was fascinated by her Tulle Window Cards episode from 3 years ago. While I didn't use any tulle, I liked her technique for cutting windows and learned some great tips from it. So here is my version.

Let's begin with the background panel on the front. This was done using the Micro Glaze Resist technique. I applied some Micro Glaze on a piece of the new Distress White Heavystock through the Doodle Art 2 THS142 Layering Stencil. Then I did the Wrinkle Free Distress technique of pressing the paper into Crackling Campfire, Speckled Egg, and Evergreen Bough Distress Inks on my nonstick Media Mat. I cut a .25" larger mat for it out of White Heavystock using the new Deckle Trimmer and then cut the center out of it making it a mat frame to go behind the front panel. This frame method is so I could sandwich the cats behind the front panel and in front of the Kraft card base, without having big bumps.

While I know that these Snarky Cat framelit dies have eyes, noses, faces, and even a mouth die included, the outside shape dies are the money dies for me. That is all I used on this card, but adding the other details would be great too. I cut two of each cat. One from the Distress White Heavystock, and one from the Kraft Heavystock. This kitty was supposed to be dangling from something high up, and reaching down for the other cat's tail.
The kitty in the middle apartment is trying to be all stealth, maybe sneaking up on some birds outside the window. I made the decision to let her tail stick out the window, kind of being a temptation for the cat in the top floor apartment.
The kitty on the ground floor reminds me of my grey cat, Lady Jane Grey. She is always kind of just observing what my other cats are doing and can often be found just staring at things. I felt like this one felt like her. You can see that I needed to trim parts of the cats off so they didn't show outside of their apartment windows.
I cut the windows in the front panel first so they were equally spaced apart, then I centered the panel on the kraft card base and outlined them on the front of the Kraft Cardstock. Put the dies over the pencil lines and cut them out of the card base. Then I colored the cats and placed them in the windows, cutting off the excess and covering them when I put the front panel on. That way they were sandwiched in between.  
I didn't think of this before I attached the cats, but I should have put the kraft heavystock on the back of each cat before instead of trimming them off which you can see when you open the card. The reason I cut a kraft cat and a whitestock cat is because I stamped and watercolored the cats on the white heavystock, but when you open the card and the back of the cats is white, it looks weird surrounded by the kraft.

Lastly, I cut a white mat for the inside of the card using the Deckle Trimmer. I aligned the sentiment so that it fit hidden behind the front cover and was a surprise when you opened it. 

This card takes a little bit more of planning, but once you get started and measure everything, it's goes together fairly easily. Thank you for stopping by!

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Love your cat apartment! What a fun way to use the cats. I love Jennifer too. Her techniques are so helpful and informative. thanks as always for sharing.

Maureen Reiss said...

I Absolutely LOVE this!!!!