Monday, November 9, 2020

Paper Village - Ghost Town

Did you catch the Holiday 2020 live demo on Saturday from Tim Holtz? Well, if you missed it, you can catch the entire thing here. In it he gives some great tips and tricks for putting together the Paper Village dies from his Sizzix Chapter 4 release. 
My sample using this die was kind of an old bayou ghost town in a Vignette Drawer. It was really fun to make and is perfect for Halloween, but I think if you added a bit o snow here and there it would be a cool creepy wintery ghost town.
I added some Tiny Lights to each of the  houses, but I like this little Ghost Town with the lights as well as just being dark.
I tried to post both here for you to see. All of the houses and roofs are cut from various pieces of Distress Woodgrain Cardstock that I had colored at different times and just had bits and pieces stashed for a project like this. So if you look closely you will see variations in some of the coloring and weathering on the houses.
In addition to the Paper Village, I added trees from last year's Ghost Town die set and the moon and bats from the Gate Keeper die. I added some little pieces of Mummy cloth dies green and glued to the trees to give it that mossy bayou feel.
The moss on the roofs is Transparent Grit Paste. Once it was dry I colored it with Distress Crayons to make it look like moss had grown on the roof. The broken shutters are the punch outs from the windows on the church.
See the four thin windows? I inked them brown and then used them as shutters. Also, the boards I used to board up the windows on a few houses were just some little thin strips I cut and colored brown and then I torn the ends and adhered them over the windows.
The little graveyard next to the church was easy to make, I just used doors and windows, and even layered a few to make the shapes. Then stuck them in some Collage Medium.
To use the door as a gravestone, I used my scissors and just cut them off along the scored side.
You can see the smaller door shape that is actually a window, up in the belltower of the church. That is the one I adhered to the door shape to give detail to one of the headstones.
To finish up the project, I added some of the Departed crackle paper around the outside, of the Vignette Drawer, an some of the Halloween Design Tape on the edge, and Vignette Mini Foundations as legs, with a Curio Knob on top to finish it off.
 Remember, you can see a project like this and think it is just a Halloween scene, but really, and old bayou ghost town can be any time of year, even winter. Have fun with the Paper Village die. The sky is the limit with this one.

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Love this little project, the houses are adorable, love the "moss" that is hanging in the trees. Using the bits and pieces of the inside cuts is perfect for the shutters and headstones...so creative I tell ya!!!

Maureen Reiss said...

Fantastic!!!! Sooooo Creepy Cute!!!