Saturday, October 5, 2019

Peace on Earth - Modern Christmas Distress Marker Stamping

For my last card on World Card Making Day 2019, I decided to go with a peaceful card.  These stamps and the stencil are all from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous.
The sentiment on the Modern Christmas set is meant to look like a label. As you can see, the black art is stamped in Black Soot Archival, but the letters show the color of the underlying paper.
I tied some Craft Thread around the stenciled part of the card but kept the embellishments to a minimum. Speaking of stencil, lets talk about how to use this beautiful Shifter Baubles stencil.
Again, when stamping a full background stamp or using a stencil, I opt for Sticky Grid by Sizzix. They are really nice low tack double sided sheets.
I learned from Tim Holtz that it works best to tape the stencil at the top so you can lift it to check coverage.  For stencils with small areas like the Shifter Bauble, use the Distress Brushes.
Here you can see it is easier to lift the stencil and peek to see how the progress is going.
Then wipe off the green ink and flip the stencil over to get it to line up and mask off the green baubles before you start the red ones.
Edge the base piece with brown ink.
To stamp the Modern Christmas Deer, I used Distress Markers. This takes a little bit of patience and a lot of hot air. LOL!
Position the stamp on some Mixed Media Heavystock. Choose some red and green Distress Markers.  They need to be juicy, so if you have some that are a little dry, set those aside for a different technique.
Color the sections on the stamp with different marker colors. Vary the reds and greens so that they don't butt up against each other when possible.
Work a section at a time. Color on the stamp and then put you mouth next to the stamp and breathe on it, like you breathe on glasses when you want to clean them or like you breath on cold glass when you want to fog it up. The water vapor from your lungs will attach to the ink and allow you to stamp it. It allows you to transfer the color to the paper without it running into each other like it would if you sprayed it with water. That is a different look and technique.
Continue coloring and breathing and stamping.
Until the entire image is colored and stamped. Then you cut it out and ink the edges.
The tree in back was stamped with three colors of green ink, Forest Moss, Peeled Paint, and Shabby Shutters. Then inked all over with the green Distress brush and edges with a Brown Distress Ink.
On the very back page I stamped here and there with the plaid stamp from the Lumberjack set. I used my hand instead of a stamping block or platform so that it was light and uneven.
Finish it off with a little bit of machine stiching and you are finished. This is another card design that can be replicated fairly easily and quickly if you do each step multiple times before moving on to another step.

Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my World Card Making Day posts. I appreciate it so much!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

one thing I did, if my markers are too dry, I have my mini ink cubes right next to my markers and pick up the ink from there. works great and still gives me the control of the marker tip. love how your card turned out. thanks as always for sharing.