Thursday, January 17, 2019

Retro Thanks - Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 1 2019

Did you catch Tim Holtz Sneak Peeks over the last week? Wow are there some great things coming our way in 2019 from Mr. Holtz!

The sneak peeks started with some wonderful new Sizzix dies in a grouping called Chapter One. A few of the dies fall into the mid-century design era and harken back to a fun, happy time where we were fascinated with all things space, science, and atomic related. That fascination was certainly obvious in the designs found in art, decor, toys, upholstery, fabrics and even home goods.
This thank you card was made using the Atomic Elements die set which has 25, that's right, 25 dies!  And as a bonus, some of the dies, once cut make additional shapes from the centers and cut-outs. This die set really gives you a bang for your buck.
To make this look like retro 50's fabric, I took some adhesive backed linen from Ideaology Textile Surfaces, which are retired, but I have hoarded several packages. You may have some in your stash or you can still find it online.
I attached pieces of the linen to paper, then cut one 4.25x5.5 piece for the background of the card. I took the rest of the linen and cut it into 3 pieces and painted the linen with three colors of Distress Paint: Broken China, Twisted Citron, and Abandoned Coral. That seemed to be a very 50's color scheme.
Once the paint had dried, I ran the Distress Archival Hickory Smoke Ink Pad lightly over the surface of the painted linen pieces and the plain linen background. You just want the grey to highlight the linen texture. This is a small detail but it really made a difference in the look of the card.
I picked the dies I wanted to use for this card and cut the same ones multiple times from the same color of linen. Then I attached them to the linen background. I even used the little bits that were cut off the sides to fill in the little spaces as you see above.
I reserved a large enough piece of the green linen to back the sentiment, which was the script portion of the shadow script die cut from black cardstock. That green piece was cut using the Retro Repeat die set.
This die set is really pretty amazing the way it works. It's kind of the die version of the Shifter Stencils. You can align the die to cut rows and rows and rows, or you can just cut one row, which is what I did on this card.
I finished the card by sewing around the background and sentiment. Then attaching three pieces of Eclectic Elements Craft Thread under the sentiment and attaching two Ideaology Nailheads.

If you missed the Facebook Live featuring these dies and others from Chapter 1 2019, you can still view it on Tim Holtz's blog

Thanks so much for checking in today!
Tami

NOTE: These links may not work. I'm new to this link format and there seem to be some problems. I'm in contact with the company and hopefully the problem will get resolved soon. But at least you can see where you can get the supplies and hopefully that will be of some help.


6 comments:

ann barnes said...

Wow Tami, an awesome card, working with the the linen added such a nice finish on the background and each of those die cuts! I am truly impressed at how well the die cut through the linen leaving crisp edges. Once again you have really captured the flair for the style! Thanks so much for sharing! xx

scrappergirl56 said...

The linen really adds to the reto look...just wanted to let you know that your links are not working...

Nancy said...

I love the card you made; I would have never thought to use the linen, it's perfect! And the colors are so retro... I ordered this die and the robots to use on cards, can't wait to use your inspiration with my own twist! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ann! I have another card I made with linen, so I’ll have to do a quick video. The key is using thin linen. I’m always surprised at all the things the thinlits manage to cut. — Tami

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sherry! I agree — kind of like that 50’s batik fabric. Thanks for your patience with the links. They are all working now. — Tami

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nancy! Have fun! Looking forward to your cards! — Tami