Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Yorick' s Skull Home Decor

“Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.” This Yorick’s Skull centerpiece was rattling around in my mind for the last several months.

I'm going to confess right up front that this is not going to be a tutorial, but hopefully with all the pictures and some explanation it will at least inspire you to make something of your own.
 I began the project by purchasing a foam skull from Michaels. I covered it in Ideaology Halloween Collage Paper using Distress Collage Medium Matte. Once it was dry I rubbed in some Distress Crayon in Ground Espresso, Peeled Paint, and Black Soot.
 I just LOVE the way it turned out. The mix of lace and script on this Collage Paper is fantastic and it just gives it a creepy cool look!
 Then I cut a hole in the top of the skull that was large enough for the battery operated candle to fit in. I added faux dripping wax by melting a glue gun along the top of the skull and the top edge of the candle, letting it dry and then adding another layer and another until I was satisfied. It was a little too shiny, so I added some Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap Distress Crayon over the candle and all the glue drips to make it look dull and dusty like old wax.
 I added a few of the new creepy Ideaology Adornments Spiders on the skull with some Collage Medium. It's a small detail, but creepy! I love it!
 Can we take a moment to appreciate the Collage Paper and Distress Crayons on the teeth? So Cool!
 The skull needed a base, so I grabbed to hardback books from the Dollar Tree. I spent way too much time aging these books so I'm not going to go into all the steps because although I totally enjoyed it, 90% of that work got covered up so I don't know what I was thinking. hahahahaha
Before I move on to the next picture though -- take a minute to look at that tear in the Halloween Worn Wallpaper and appreciate the awesomeness of it.
 To age any hardback, I covered the words on the spine with Ranger Opaque Crackle Texture paste. Once it was dry I painted both books with Black Soot Distress Paint. Then I painted over the rest of the book with Distress Rock Candy Crackle Paint.
 Once dry I attached a piece of the Halloween Worn Wallpaper to the top of the book with Vintage Distress Collage Medium, including the sides of the pages and let dry. I sanded the edges of the worn Wallpaper and went over them with more Collage Medium, then aged the entire book with Pumice Stone, Ground Espresso and Peeled Paint Distress Crayons.
I attached a Halloween Vignette Accent to each of the book spines to add interest when it is sitting on a table as a centerpiece.
 I love these Halloween Vignette Accents!!! I mean come on...that bat!
 To complete the project I attached the books together and then attached the skull to the top of the books so they are all one piece. Then I just added some moss, Ideaology Mummy Cloth (love it !!) and some of the Sizzix Alterations Skeleton Leaves and the new Sizzix Alterations Branches.

I hope this project helps to jumpstart you into making something of your own with the amazing Halloween Collage paper and Ideaology. Tim Holtz has done it again with an array of fabulous pieces for your home Halloween decor!


1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love the decor piece; it is creepy and beautiful (can that happen at the same time?) and perfectly executed. And although you apologized for not making a "tutorial," I think this qualifies...it has enough details and how to info to replicate, if someone should choose to do so. I love the titles you choose for your makes, they always makes me chuckle. And lastly, thank you for enabling; I didn't purchase the collage paper, but now.... I've seen I used to cover different items, and it is magnificent! Thanks for the lovely inspiration!