Monday, September 10, 2018

Trick or Treat - Sizzix Frightening Faces

Its no secret that I love a good cup of tea, and always enjoy a lovely afternoon tea time with family and friends. I particularly delight in seasonal themed afternoon teas and a spooky Halloween tea is right up my alley.
So with that in mind, it seemed only natural to pair the new Frightening Faces dies from Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations with the old Tea Time dies. Add the new Halloween Shadow Script and the old Feather and Raven set and you have the perfect invitation to a spooktacular tea time. 

Note: the Feather and Raven set is from last year's release but it is listed in this year's seasonal catalog, so if you didn't purchase it last year, request it at your LSS or favorite online retailer, they will be able to order it. (Also, if you click the link in this paragraph, there were several available from that retailer at the time I wrote this post.)

 Just a little insight into designing samples. When we are designing in early summer, we don't have the new Halloween paper to play with, so we either need to make it with stamps and inks, or use paper from stashes that are available year-round.
To make this card I pulled papers from the Dapper stash and then colored them using Distress Inks and Blending Tools as you see here. I'm really pleased with the outcome!

These Halloween Shadow Script words are wonderful!  You can layer them as I have here, or you can cut them together so the word is inlaid within the shadow.
The Feathers and Ravens set from last year make for a foreboding feel to the tea invitation. First, ravens symbolize death. Secondy, I placed the raven feathers so that they seemed like they were for stirring the tea instead of a little teaspoon.  Black feathers mean bad tidings. And last, to play off that, I used the Frightening Faces cat face on the tea cup where the raven is perched for a little twist since cats are the predators to birds.
I adore these Frightening Faces! You can use them in so many ways, but they are fabulous in these cups right?  So much fun.  This might be my favorite Halloween card this season.
I would recommend that you don't miss out on the Frightening Faces dies, because you really can use them year round to give faces to all sorts of things!
You might have noticed that there is a bit of a sheen to the words, cups, raven and feathers. That is because after I cut them out, I sprayed them all with Distress Resist Spray and let them dry. It gave them all a shiny textured finish that really makes them all stand out.

1 comment:

Rea' said...

What a great way to use the papers, I like the cups with faces !