Thursday, September 14, 2017

Halloween Bookmarks

The Sizzix Alterations die set Mini Halloween Things by Tim Holtz, gave me an idea for making bookmarks for Halloween.  In this day and age of technology, I know a lot of reading is done online, but there is something to be said for holding an actual paper and ink book in your hands and interacting with the written word.  So the educator in me wants to do everything I can to encourage people, and especially the kiddos to read books. I hope these bright, cute Halloween themed bookmarks might help a little.
Another thing you might have heard of is the Teal Pumpkin Project. It is when a house that has alternative Halloween goodies to offer that are not candy/sugar/food related, posts a teal pumpkin in the window, on the door, or has an actual teal pumpkin on the porch to signify that for those kiddos who need or would prefer a non food item you have them available.  I thought these book marks might be a fun thing to have for them to choose or they could be part of a goodie bag that you give to special children in your family or neighborhood, maybe paired with a book, toy, etc.
I noticed this year that Target has teal pumpkins in their $1 spot and they also have some offerings online for toys and give aways as well as the Oriental Trading Company has some offerings. Pinterest is loaded with lists of things you can offer as well if you are interested.


How did I make these bookmarks? They're really fairly simple. More time consuming than they are difficult. 

First cut some Distress Mixed Media Heavystock 8.5x11 into 2"x 7" Then color each one with a blending tool and Distress Oxide. Spritz with water, dry and then stamp different Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous background stamps onto them in the same color. 

I used my hand as the stamping block so I had more control and could stamp on the corners leaving spots without a stamp. Mat them, then cut the corners. I used a We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper. Punch a hole and then cut and adhere some reinforcers.

Each bookmark is different to showcase the different dies in the Mini Halloween Things. I found some of the sayings online and then brainstormed the rest.  The fonts are all different Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations fonts in either the Sizzlits Strip dies or the new fonts in the Thinlits, like Alphanumeric Thin 3/8, Alphanumeric Script 1", Alphanumeric 3/4 Tall. Just use what you have and feel free to mix and match.



I did add one book mark using the Scarecrow die. He fits on the bookmark if you fold his arms over.










3 comments:

blupixy said...

These are awesome! What a great alternative to candy!

Tee said...

Fantastic bookmarks!

Brandy said...

Those phrases are genius! I love these bookmarks!