Thursday, April 17, 2014

Love Springs Eternal

Okay, so I know the Alexander Pope quote is HOPE springs eternal, but I decided to take a little creative license with it for this cute spring picture of two couples in love.

 I used the Carta Bella Baby Mine Girl paper and stickers for this layout.  And it just so happens that Carta Bella posted a sketch on their blog that my friend Susan made for the Baby Mine Boy paper line.  So I decided to give it a try with the girl line.  If you haven't checked out their blog, you must!


For these embellishments I layered stickers from the sticker sheet to make the Mickey and Minnie tags.  The letter stickers are Tim Holtz Ideaology Label Letters.  I felt this page needed a few little touches of black.

 I was given a Prima Wooden ATC card to use with this paper.  I thought that True Love was perfect for this picture.  These come as plain pieces of wood with some etching on them.  I wanted to do something with it, so I colored the hearts.

 I picked a few colors from my Ranger Distress Paints and using my water pen, I painted the color on in the different sections.  The watered down paint was somewhat translucent and allowed the wood to still show through.
 It went on quite easily.  Once the paint had dried, I lightly sanded it to distress it more.
 A few more little touches of black.  These black dots are from Queen & Co. Candy Shoppe Frosties.

 The sketch called for two borders.  It shows scalloped, but doesn't have to be.  I felt scalloped fit though and there was a scalloped pink border on the sticker sheet.  Cool!  But only one. Bummer!  What to do?

First I cut the border sticker in half.  I used the scalloped part on the top of the layout and then took the 1/2" straight strip and using a Lifestyle Crafts scallop border die, I put the sticker strip along the scalloped edge and cut it.

Dies work much better for cutting or altering scissors than scissors or punches which seem to gum up.

Last but not least I got out my Label Stickers again and cut some letters for a title and I was finished! 

8 comments:

Susan Stringfellow said...

oh I am totally pulling out my waterbrush! Love this layout! The gorgeous papers are perfect for your photo and the way you used those ticket stickers is so smart! I never thought to make them my own by covering the center with letter stickers. Really a fun layout

Frank said...

Totally loving the wood showing through that paint...the papers are beautiful with the Disney Easter pics...and loving how you used some of the stuff that I know we all have in our stash and just don't use enough....great job!!

blupixy said...

Love this layout! The card you painted turned out awesome! I thought it came with the collection. Love the way you stretched your supplies to get two borders. Thanks for sharing! So inspiring.

WINDDANCER said...

I love this layout. Thanks for sharing. You said you cut the letters for Spring. Can you share what Alpha Dies you used?

Kristin said...

OMG ...I am in love with this page and all your different techniques that you did throughout the page ...love all the explanations ...so going to try these ...love it!!!

Tamera said...

Mary it was a limited edition alpha set from Quickutz/Lifestyle Crafts called "Winter Wishes"

Laurie Zeller said...

Just beautiful! The colors are just delicious and so very spring. Your ideas for coloring the wood piece are fantastic.

Sara said...

This is SO pretty! Just love it!