Saturday, June 19, 2010
Wine Bottle Covers
I went to a crop recently at my LSS that had some Make n Takes. One of them was a wine bottle cover. It was a simple project, but included some stamping and embossing techniques. I thought it was a great idea, but wanted to change it up a bit.
For my bottle covers, I cut Tim Holtz Grungeboard into strips, squares and then die cut one piece using one of his Alterations die cuts. Then I used a Quickutz embossing folder to emboss all the grungeboard pieces. Once they were all embossed, I painted them with Distress Paint Dabbers, let the paint dry, and then sanded the raised areas. Once the raised areas were sanded, I inked the entire surface with Distress Ink, and wiped off the ink from the painted areas. The paint acts as a resist for the ink, allowing the embossed areas to show through, but not color the painted areas too much.
Then I stamped a circle and an initial onto some QuicKutz Adhesive Cork. Two kinds come in a package, so the one on the left contains larger, more irregular pieces of cork, and the one of the right has smaller, corkboard type pieces. I wanted this to resemble the top of a wine cork (even though most of them have a date on them.)
And for the top, I took four pieces of jute and dyed them using Ranger Color Wash in colors that matched the paint I used. The colors here are Lettuce, Eggplant, Wild Plum and Butterscotch. Once they dried, I tied them around the tops of the wine bottles.
Lastly I punched small holes in the edges of the decorative piece, and the strip of grungeboard and attached them with a brad. In order to get the piece to fit around a bottle, I punched a hole in each side piece and tied them together with a small piece of jute.
This was a fun, easy project that will make a great gift for someone.