This week we are focusing more on embossing powders than we are the inks, but that's okay, it was fun to try a few of these things. The main focus Jennifer had for this part was to have us experiment with embossing powders without using stamps.
There were several things she wanted us to do, so I made three cards with the different techniques.
This first project I made kind of cracks me up! I don't really celebrate Halloween, but I ordered a bunch of paper from Cosmo Cricket last week and they sent me a few little baggies with some of their paper pieces, chipboard and ribbon. Not a lot, but just enough to make a card. So since one of them had Halloween paper, and I had just bought a Tim Holtz Halloween stamp set for the barbed wire stamp (stay tuned for that card which is in progress!) I decided to give it a shot and I love it!
This technique we were to put clear embossing gel on the flower, and then cover the flower in clear embossing powder. When heated, it gives the flower a very shiny appearance. I also stamped the bats in Spiced Marmalade and embossed them with black embossing powder. The Happy Halloween is inked in Worn Lipstick Distress Ink and embossed with Concord Grape Distress Embossing Powder. Thanks Cosmo Cricket for the free stuff!
This technique we were supposed to use Utee on an embellishment to make it look like a faux acrylic embellishment. I bought the wrong kind of Utee - the pearlized instead of the clear (I didn't know there were different kinds!) I finished the technique anyway and it goes with the cream in the paper, so it's all good!
This last card is currently my favorite. I took some really old, cheesy paper I had and inked it all with Antique Linen Distress Ink. Then I copied an old vintage 4th postcard. I liked the way it said 4th of July already on the card, so I carefully went over it with an embossing ink pen and embossed it with antique gold embossing powder so it would stand out. Then we were to take a circle of paper and keep embossing it over and over with embossing powder until it was thick and gooey, then stamp an image in the center to make a faux wax seal. I used antique gold again and a star. For Week 2 part 3 we were to emboss on metal. I took three very bright metal stars and heated them and then dipped them in the antique gold embossing powder until they matched the seal.
I think I like this one so much that I may not be able to give it away.
Lots more fun projects from Jennifer and today begins week 3!