Friday, March 27, 2020

See the World - Inventor 9

It may be a bit like pouring lemon on a cut to post his card right now, but I don't feel that way. I love planning a trip. Granted, my husband and I don't go anywhere really except to Disneyland, BUT that doesn't stop me from planning! LOL! I have had pinterest boards for dream trips to all kinds of places, including Walt Disney World (a place we have never been, can you believe it?) for over a decade. It's a blast! So I say, if you are like many of us who have lots of extra time on your hands right now, start planning a trip you would want to take when this is all over.

So in that spirit, let's talk about this travel card that uses more Distress Embossing Glazes and the Inventor 9 stamps from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous. This was such a fun card to make and it's really easy!
I started with a #8 Heavystock tag and using a blending tool and embossing ink. I put embossing ink on the clean tag through the Halftone Stencil. Then I sprinkled several different colors of Distress Embossing Glaze (Rusty Hinge, Cracked Pistachio, and Fossilized Amber) over the tag. Once embossed, I applied some Distress Ink in Walnut Stain to the tag and spritzed it with water.
I sewed around the outside edge of the tag and added a bit of string through the loop. Then I cut it so that it would fit on the front of a 4.25x5.5 card.
Then I stamped the trunks and the globe from the Inventor 9 stamps onto some Distress Heavystock and then embossed them with the Walnut Stain Distress Embossing Glaze. I fussy cut them all out and then watercolored them with Distress Inks.
There are two versions of the trunks on the Inventor 9. One is slightly open and one is mostly closed. I colored them with the theme I was going for.
Also, I stamped three adventure sayings from the Tiny Text stamp set onto plain Heavystock with Distress Embossing Ink. Then I embossed them with three different Embossing Glazes (Cracked Pistachio, Fired Brick, Fossilized Amber.) Once they were embossed, I colored each strip with Walnut Stain Distress Stain to make the wording stand out.
The background of the card is a piece of Distress Heavystock.
Using my hand as a stamping block, I stamped the globe images from Inventor 9 kind of haphazardly across the paper in Hickory Smoke Distress Archival Ink. Be sure you dry the Archival Ink.
On a side note: In the picture above, can you see that my Glass Media Mat is scratched? It doesn't affect how if works at all. It is scratched because I use it constantly and consider those scratches proof that it has been a loved and well used tool in my papercrafting journey. <3 i="">

 Then I sprayed it with water and Distress Inks.
Cracked Pistachio
Weathered Wood
 Antique Linen
More Water. You want to keep it light so it is important to make sure you spray it with water. This also somehow lets the Archival Ink kind of soak in a bit of the color.
 Once it is dry, you will start to see how the Hickory Smoke still shows but how it is starting to take on the hue of the Distress Ink as well.
 I added a little bit of color with blending tools.
 This continues to build the color with the Hickory Smoke Archival.
 Again, spray with water so the Distress Ink will react and soak in when you dry it.
 The water again softens the color and reacts with the Archival.
 In these photos you can see how the Hickory Smoke grabs onto the small amount of Distress Ink and how it slightly changes.
 I accidentally discovered this a couple of years ago when I was watercoloring a card background with a bunch of stamps on it.
It has since become one of my go-to techniques for backgrounds. You get to see the stamps, but they remain subtle enough that they don't overpower the focal point of the card. I love it and use it quite a lot.

Thank you so much for stopping by. I always appreciate it so much!
Keep on planning and dreaming!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

scrappergirl56 said...

If you can plan it, you will go...eventually. Love your explanation for the background technique...