Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Do the Impossible - Steam Punk Mickey

 It's no secret that I love Disney and because I have been scrapbooking Disney memories for years, often times when I see a paper, or shape or something, I think Disney.  That was the case when I saw the new Chapter Two Steam Punk Parts die from Tim Holtz and Sizzix.
To make this Steam Punk Grunge Mickey tag, I covered a medium Etcetera tag with Distress Mixed Media Heavystock that I used the 3-D Lumber Texture Fade technique on. You can find the directions for making this distressed wood technique here.


I added some different colors of Distress Paint to these planks so they looked like they had come from different pieces of wood.  Then I poked holes in the planks corners so they looked like old nail holes and colored them with the Rusty Hinge Distress Marker. Then I attached the planks to the tag by adhering them with Distress Collage Medium.
src="https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UU-d7xQBS70/XLah28LnruI/AAAAAAAAomQ/N9zIuVnCHq8De9H615ekLTs2_DvA1uuRQCKgBGAs/s320/IMG_5132.JPG" width="320" /> Once the tag was covered with the distressed wood planks, I moved on to the partial quote by Walt Disney. I cut the words DO THE from the new Society alphabet in black chipboard. Then I added some Distress Grit Paste, Vintage Distress Collage Medium and Rusty Hinge Distress Crayon.
I love the aged rusty crusty old metal look it gave the letters.
When I saw the large flange on the Steam Punk Parts Bigz die, I thought it might be the perfect size to fit with the flange on the Industrial Bigz die to form a classic Mickey. Sure enough, it did! I cute several of each die from black chipboard.
To form the ears, I cut the flange piece from the Industrial die.  Then I adhered it to the center circular piece that cuts out from the middle of the large Steam Punk Parts Flange. for the small hex nuts, I used the small and large ones from the Hardware Heads pack.
Once all the pieces were attached together, I smeared some grit paste over it and then added layer upon layer of Distress Paints, Vintage Collage Medium, and Distress Crayons until I got the aged, rusted look I wanted.  To finish it up, I added a Star Adornment to the center that had been aged with Grit Paste, Distress Paint and Collage Medium.
For the center flange, I cut three from the Steam Punk Parts.  Then I adhered them together, including the center circle that I used as the base for the ear flanges, so it looked solid like the ears.  I added the hex nuts that are part of the Steam Punk Parts die. all around the edges.  It was aged the same as the ears and the 55 is from the Ideaology Numerals that were aged just like the stars on the ears.  The 55 represents the year 1955 that Disneyland was opened.
The last word of the partial Walt quote was cut from black chipboard, from the Block Talk Bigz XL alphabet.  I aged it the same way I did the Do The letters above.
There is that same fantastic rusty crusty texture on the chipboard letters.  I love this tag and always think it is so much fun to take the most unexpected items and turn them into something Disney inspired.  It's why you'll read "not your ordinary Disney Scrapper" on my blog, etsy store and facebook page.

Thank you for stopping by.  I know this isn't a tutorial. It wasn't meant to be. But if anything, I hope it inspires you just to get out a bunch of your Distress supplies and just add layers and things until you get a look you like. That's really all I did. I just kept adding layers and working to make it look the way I wanted. That's the fun of it. Just experiment and see what you get.
Thanks, Tami

 I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Tami: I love the take on your beloved Mickey! The rusty crustiness on all the elements is fantastic. Thanks for sharing your project; it is truly a wonderful make.

ann barnes said...

Tami this is so awesome! What a wonderful creative use of the dies and such a fabulous way to celebrate! I am always so awed by your planks the different wood colors look amazing! Thank you for sharing xxx