Saturday, December 15, 2012

Winter Wishes and Soapflakes

 I had a gift exchange with some friends and since I started this little thing earlier this year, I decided that I should kind of continue it for everyone.  I made them soapflakes and a little picture with instructions to set next to it on a sink in their home.



Here is what I put in each package for everyone, a bowl of soapflakes and a picture frame with the instruction poem.
I made this from a photo I saw of a card Joy Kennedy posted on her twitter account.  I LOVED it and decided to kind of try and duplicate it for my instruction poem.  I call it an instuction poem, because people don't know that the snowflakes are coated in soap and can be used to wash their hands.

To make this card, I embossed a 4x6 piece of Kraft Core Cardstock with the snowflake texture fade folder and then sanded the snowflakes.  I stamped some white cardstock with the blueprint snowman stamp in black archival ink.  Then using some Distress Markers and water markers, I colored the snowman, inked the edges with frayed burlap distress ink, and then you cant see it, but I covered the snowman with rock candy distress stickles for a little shine.  I printed the poem on white cardstock and backed it with more Kraft Core.  To make a couple of the words stand out, I drew around them with my Distress Pens.
I bought a package of fabric rose petals from the dollar tree to make the snowflakes.

Then I cut snowflakes out of the petals using Tim Holtz movers and shapers dies.





After dipping them in glycerin soap, I had soapflakes. 

For a detailed tutorial on how to do this, I posted a step by step tutorial on Instructagram
Then I packaged them all up in a large lunch bag, topped it with a large doily, Tim Holtz rosette snowflake, and made some tags out of the old Making Memories metal tag maker and stamped one of the mini blueprint snowflakes on it.

2 comments:

Susan Stringfellow said...

wow - how cool is that! I just went to see the instructagram and its awesome. What a sweet gift!

blupixy said...

This is a wonderful gift! Love it!