Saturday, April 10, 2010
Once Upon a Dream
As I said in my last post, my LSS is having a contest to make a layout using only the My Mind's Eye Abbey Road paper. For this layout I decided to go with the blues and pinks in the line. I thought it went perfectly with our picture of Princess Aurora.
For the layout, I decided to turn my friend Susan's 8 1/2 x 11 sketch into a 12x12 layout. You can see all of her sketches on her blog Sketch Savvy.
In addition to the sketch, I wanted to used a technique she featured on the Serendipity Scrapbooks challenge forum, which is to make a border using the folded flower technique. There is a little problem on the site right now so I can't link you to her tutorial, so my sorry directions will have to do.
First, punch at least a dozen 1 1/4" circles out of double-sided paper. Fold the flowers in half with the pattern on the outside that you want to show the most. Line these up as seen and sew onto your page or card.
Once you have the half circles sewn onto your paper, then open the circle up, and fold it in on itself along the fold as shown.
Do this to all the half circles on both sides and you will end up with a fun, dimensional border like this:
The blue and pink flowers and green leaves were made using seam binding ribbon that I colored with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist and Ranger Distress Ink Reinkers (I mixed colors to get just the right shade.) Then once the seam binding was dry, I followed this flower tutorial.
The sketch called for a leafy vine to run across the bottom of the page, but I decided I wanted a lace trim instead. Because one of my favorite scenes from Sleeping Beauty is when Flora, Fauna and Merriweather fight over what color Aurora's dress should be, I thought it would be fun to color the lace blue and pink. I broke out the cream lace trim and some glimmer mist and got to work.
After I colored both ends of the trim, and dried it, it looked pretty good, but was a little strong for the page. It was okay, but I just didn't want it to stand out that much.
While I was thinking about what to do to lighten it a little, I accidentally brushed it aside and noticed the back. WOW! I loved how the Glimmer Mist didn't soak in to the embroidery and allowed the cream lace detail to show through! One of those happy accidents!
For the title and the dark blue circle, I just sprayed a bit of Glimmer Mist on some of the polka-dot paper and cut it out with my QuicKutz.
I thought this layout was going to be an easy one, but it ended up taking me quite a long time with all the dying, drying and sewing. I'm really happy with the end result though!
Now here's a little fairy magic to put a smile on your face: